September 08, 2017
GCCYS Helping Hurricane Harvey/ Irma Victim
Hurricane Harvey hit the 210 mile corridor between Corpus Christi and Houston, Texas on Friday, August 25th. The hurricane is expected to go down as one of the worst flooding events in US history. This weekend, Hurricane Irma is scheduled to hit Florida, and could be the biggest storm to make landfall since Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
Many families have been displaced from their home, with no idea of when they will be allowed to return. When they are finally able to do so, there is much uncertainty as to what they will be returning to.
How can the GCCYS help? Below is a list of items you can bring to your child’s game on the weekend of September 8th-10th. The GCCYS board, along with your parish/ school Athletic Commission will then deliver the items to Matthew 25 Ministries, who is playing a key role in the disaster relief effort.
We will accept the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations*: Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
- Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerky, ready to eat snacks; bottled water; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo,body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
*Donors who would like to designate their financial gifts for Hurricane Relief may do so by writing “Hurricane Relief” in the memo line of their check.
With your support, we can show how helpful the GCCYS can be when there are people in need!
The GCCYS Board